Friday, October 19, 2007

One UFO Done...

Ta dah! I finished my cute little hate for Grace. I really struggled with whether or not to stray from the pattern with this (scroll down to see what the hat was suppose to look like). I don’t have the experience under my belt to be able to picture exactly how it would turn out and I really did not want to have to take it out stitches. This puppy was knit on size 4 (Harmony needles from knitpicks.com – fabulous!) which adds up to a lot of stitches!


One of the things I really liked about this pattern was how the P3 / K3 rows really accented with the stripes in the yarn. I wanted to bring this pattern back into the top prior to decreasing to create unity with the bottom part of the hat, plus I thought it would create a fabulous framed area for the six buttons I want to add around it (mostly for decoration but also to cover up the tiny holes my m1s left, not sure why will have to work on that).

So I made sure I measured out to almost the distance the pattern called for before decreasing, did two rounds of the P3 / K3 rows and then started my decrease. I have to say I am very happy with the results, although the were unexpected. The purl stitches totally changed how the decrease angled! Making the top of the cap flat instead of round, much like a little fishing hat.

Another cool thing about this patter, you could knit it in 100% wool add an i-cord handle and felt it for an adorable little basket/bowl. It would also be a great way to make a flat bottomed purse.

Off to see what other UFOs I can finish up... I think I hear a snowman calling me.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Your change of design makes the hat look similar to a "pill box" style. Very cool!

Rosi G. said...

oh oh!!! i LOVE that hat!! what pattern is that?