Thursday, October 4, 2007

Me, a Blogger...?

Who would have thought I would succumb to the blog? Sounds suspiciously like a disease, but I think this could be fun. Plus with family so far away, an online diary could be a great way to stay in touch. And this might just be a fabulous name for my "someday" yarn store!

I have started this post hoping to get an invitation (and preparing just in case I do) to participate in a Coffee Yarn Swap for which they recommend having a blog. But I think I have high hopes for my little blog (as I am sure everyone does), with my goal being to update once a week — most likely weekends.

Since the title of my blog is Wooly Wonder's Café, it only seems appropriate to start with what I currently have on my needles. I am happy to say I currently have three projects going at one time! For those of you who knit with me, I suffer from obsessing about one project at a time until it is finished, so having three sets of occupied needles at one time is quite the accomplishment for me.

The first project is the adorable hat I am making for Gracie (a very cute little cousin in the family) for Christmas. I have decided to make hats for all the cold weather kids this year, they are so easy and fun to make, plus inexpensive to mail so I think I will include candy or something.


I have to say I am in love with this yarn, especially for it being an inexpensive fiber from JoAnn’s (which I purchased with a 40% off coupon and saved even more). The pattern is from a hat for kis book and has been fairly easy for the novice knitter that I am. I am in a quandary now, though. To deviate from the pattern or stick with the pattern!

As you can see from the photo from the book, the brim will be folded up and the top is more squared off with a three needle bind off (which will be a new technique for me). However, I love the ruffled floppy brim, it is very girly. I am tempted to leave the brim down and go with a standard round beanie style decrease, then place cute little buttons (4-5) around the middle section just before the decrease begins. Stay tuned, I am bound to make a decision soon — it is in my obsessive nature!

Another set of needles is occupied by the Modern Quilt Wrap from the Kitting Daily site (kittingdaily.com). If you are not a member of this site, I highly recommend signing up ASAP! Starting this week they are posting a Stitch of the Day from the upcoming Harmony Guide book series. The stitches will only be posted for one day Monday-Friday, very cool!

Anyhow, I had trouble visualizing how these magical little squares formed for this Wrap. As it turns out, it is pretty easy and there really has not been any “tricky” knitting required. I am venturing off the pattern a bit by not using the recommended yarn (daring, huh?). I am making this wrap for a Christmas and I want it to be pretty and warm, so I am using a soft sport weight wool. That will make it hand wash only, but I think that will be ok. Since I am only on block seven, the jury is still out as to whether or not my yarn/color selection will be a winner — time will tell!

I also have to post an image of my big find this weekend! Are these not the most beautiful colors ever, and I got them for half price!! I have started another wrap using these nine colors. Mohair is much harder to work with than wool, though. I need to find a number seven needle with a sharper point, I think. The K2T in back loop is very hard with my wooden clover needles. I may try the Harmony needles from KnitPicks.com.

And the last item(s) on my needles are the Wooly Snowmen! I am trying to make some snow families for Christmas presents. Nice thing about these little guys is that when it comes to making scarves and hats for them I can use up my scraps! Woo-hoo!

I hope to start my Sheepy Knitting Bag soon...

2 comments:

Linda/Mom said...

I love the projects and the wonderful yarn you found. I say NEVER be afraid to try changing a pattern or a different yarn. Just check your guage, that is always important. Also, make sure the yarns clean the same, by that I mean don't mix dry clean with hand wash or machine wash, nor hand wash with machine wash. Othere wise go for it. I stopped being nervous about that some time ago, still have to tell myself it's o.k.

I have several things going, that is not unusual for me. I could use some of that complusion of yours. With my ADD I have to go back-N-forth to keep from getting bored with the project. Unfotunately, I have to force myself to finish a project.

I have a crochetted hat going that will match a shrug I knitted. Very pretty purple.

I have a scarf going as well and bought yarn to make a evening gown, some to make scarf with matching hat. Lots of fun.

I think doing a blog is a great idea. I've never posted to one, I don't think but I loved your story and pray you get to open a store.

Pippin's Girl said...

Mara, There you go again! Way ahead of me with knitting, crocheting etc. I LOVE what you are doing, especially the hat in the fall colors. I still have the wool tote on my needles. I think I'm afraid to finish it cause I'm not sure about felting it. I am pretty close to being done. You have inspired me to drag it out again.
We have the Gavalia thing going too, I'm not sure what kinds Gene orders, but they are wonderful. I have also gotten into a tea mode after visitng a store in St Paul with nothing but teas. Something about tea and scones.

I can hear your needles clicking away! Have fun and be sure and post the finished projects.